Sunday, August 19, 2007

Finding The Best Burger

You may have noticed that I'm on a burger kick lately. There's nothing like siting down to a good burger and fries to make you feel good.

After a co-worker heard that I had eaten at Simply Burgers, he suggested that I try Charlie's, so I did.

CHARLIE'S HAMBURGER GRILL

Depending on what you're looking for, you could do worse than Charlie's. The staff is very friendly and they have a large, kid friendly menu. Only the kid's menu include fries and a drink, adults must order ala carte.

Jenny had the french dip while I enjoyed the Bob Burger. Mine came with green chile's, pepper jack cheese and lettuce and tomato. The meat was well seasoned and the burger over all was very delicious. We also ordered a side of fries and fried okra, neither of which was very appetizing, but did include a side of ranch to help with the bland taste.


DUTCH'S

Dutch's is a quaint little place near a college campus. There's not much in the way of decoration and there's not really any wait staff.

When I walked in, the first thing I saw was the bar. It's a nice polished wood one with chrome barstools. I soon found out that I needed to place my order at the rear of the establishment. An older gentleman standing in line next to me told me to try the onion rings. I ended up with the hickory bbq & bacon burger with a side of onion rings. (Add onion rings or fries to anything for $2.00). After I placed my order, I was told to sit anywhere and they'd call my name. When I sauntered up to the bar, I met an ugly pug. No there wasn't a dog there, Ugly Pug, I found out, is a local beer, brewed right here in town.

When my order arrived, I first noticed the bun. Not a traditional bun, more like the kind of bread you'd find on a slider. Come to find out, their bread is made at a bakery in Houston but it's their recipe. The burger was fabulous! Great flavor, bbq next to the meat and the cheese melted on top. Awesome! The onion rings were think cut and hand breaded and the dark lager beer was a perfect companion.

The owner's of Dutch's used to work together at the Reata, so even without my testimony, you know it's good.


PAPPA'S BURGER

Part of the Pappa's family chain, Pappa's Burger is at the top of my list for best burgers.

When you enter, the menu is posted on the wall and you place your order and get your own drink then find a place to sit. There are several different type areas to sit in. In the center of the restaurant are tables, towards the side are large booths, to the extreme left is a round bar area with tv's and to the extreme right is a lunch counter where all the action is happening. I chose to sit at the lunch counter area.

A server came over and took my ticket to turn in to be cooked. I ordered the hickory cheddar bacon burger which comes with fries. When my order arrived I was surprised to see how dense the burger was. The flavor was smoky and delicious. It took concentration to consume the entire burger, but the task was accomplished. The fries, though, were sub par. Although the quantity was substantial, they were clumped together with the ones on the outside being crispy and the ones inside soggy. The ice tea was acceptable and the staff was very friendly.

No comments: